Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Filter Bubbles (Notes and Reactions)

a)What new information did you learn from the video?
-I learned just how "censored" the internet really is. I'm a little hesitant to use the word censored, seeing as it has such a negative connotation, but to be honest that is what is really going on. With the internet we are constantly telling ourselves that we have complete access to information and that its all open for us to see with nothing hidden. So that video was a slap of reality.

b)How does this information make you think differently about what you see online?
-This video is really going to make me second guess how much information I am really going to find and how I research information. It also makes me more aware that trying to find different viewpoints is much more difficult than I thought it was. Which actually makes sense because when I try to write research papers I keep getting the same sources.

c)What questions does this video raise about the Internet in general? and
-This video really makes me think, how much of the Internet am I really missing out on? What potentially amazing websites, articles, and sources have I not found because my internet searches are hiding thing from me.

d)How can you improve the effectiveness of your searches?
-I use the website stumble upon, a lot during my internet time. It doesn't work for trying to find sources for a paper per say, but it does work well in finding cool, weird, or random information that I wouldn't have been able to find without it. But other than stumble upon, I think I am going to try to be more conscious about the words I use in a search (sometimes wording influences search outputs) as well as use multiple search engines, and spend more time searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment