Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My Opinion Isn't (A) Right

Overall I thought the conversation was interesting and had its valid points. Personally I struggled with the topic and had a tough time understanding it overall. Ironically I managed (on my second time through) to read the last page of the text before reading the first, which actually helped me understand what the essay was about.

When we got into our class discussion I thought it was great when Dr. Preston let us work out our interpretations and then gave his insight. And from our discussion we pulled out the idea that people have a right to an opinion, but they aren't entitled to one. That distinction between right and entitled is what I think the point the essay was trying to get at. Since entitlement implies that people are granted the right to be correct, if we were to break that entitlement we would be destroying their rights by simply possessing an opinion different from theirs.

Over the next couple of weeks, when I have the time I will attempt to come back to the text and when I come up with new ideas I will post them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment