Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Will Study for Food! (Part 1)

Will Study for Food!
(Part 1)
 
 
All Rights for the Video go to CBS
 
 
 
Jokingly, of course, my family and I used to say that I would have to auction off one of my kidney's just to attend college for one year. But now that its time for me to start applying for college, I'm starting to think that might be true. But in all seriousness, its time to get to business so here is what my research about college, funding, and scholarships has brought up so far.

Lets say that theoretically I am planning on attending a University of California (which are significantly more expensive than CSUs). For our example lets just say that I am attending UC San Diego (a school I have interest in). For the 2013-2014 academic year UC San Diego cost around $30,525 for living on campus (chart here). Based primarily on the FASFA breakdown, and on what my sister herself received from FASFA, I will only be getting at the most around $5,000 although most likely much less. My parents may decide to pay for my room and board, about $9,000-$11,000, which leaves me paying around $20,000 a year for my education (again the totals will fluctuate for a CSU, or for living off campus). That $20,000 a year deficit is taking into account the absolute best possible situation (without FASFA aid) and no other parent contribution besides room and board. Most likely I will attempt to get both a summer job and one after my first semester at school, as well as attend Junior College during the summer to do as much General Ed as I can possibly do, to keep my costs as low as possible.

My explanation for the cost and challenges of college is very rough and I still need to work out several of the kinks before actually making some big decisions in the coming months. I hope to be able to continue to add extra parts and update how my college planning experience is going.

Until next time,

Amara

P.S. Does anyone have any good ideas on making a prom dress out of duct tape?

2 comments:

  1. yes I did. It is called "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie. I will bring it to school tomorrow. Be sure to post it on the blog! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete